Subject: [Leica] was Best known photo ? now jumping or falling
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue May 11 15:23:35 2004

Probably the best known photo in Germany is somebody else jumping , but
definitely not posed.
A young East German soldier hurdling the barbed-wire between East and
West Germany just before the
partition of Berlin was completed. Interestingly the soldier was charged
and convicted in the GDR, not only for
desertion , but also for the theft of a complete set of uniform and
equipment. The FRG courts are rumoured to have
upheld the latter conviction, unfortunately I cannot verify this.

Another was staged, Evgueni Khaldei, a propaganda photographer has
admitted in many interviews
that it was too dangerous to get the shot during continued fighting
around the Reichstag and that the whole
thing was redone a few days later.
The other version is that one of the Soviet soldiers on the original was
seen to be sporting 2 watches on one arm, having seen this
the censors in Moscow sent Khaldei back to shoot te flag scene again.
In similar fashion a lot of the footage of street fighting in Berlin
were shot afterBerlin fell and the Wehrmacht had surrendered .
Douglas