Subject: [Leica] Leica Mothers
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon May 10 19:31:31 2004

Jim,
This is probably not true.  Nikon probably built up a large stock of
D70's prior to the official release, however, they are now long gone.  I
suspect that the dealer was trying to explain why he/she didn't have
any.  You should see the feeding frenzy going on at my local dealer over
Mk II's.

Another explanation would be that the D70 is more desirable than the
Digital Rebel but in much tighter supply. "Problems" with the
competition might make the switch to another product easier. As well
Canon would like to make the higher price point a little longer before
the price inevitably starts to drop.  My personal bet is that the
Digital Rebel body will be $699 by Photokina

The way the photographic retail market works these days is that the
really big chains suck up all the oxygen.  If you were a manufacturer,
and you could get a check for 100,000 units in thirty days, or pray for
a check from 50,000 dealers with two units each which would you favor?

In fairness to Canon, they do the best job of treating everybody the
same.  The big girls get a bigger hit, but the smaller dealers stand
some chance of getting product.  This is extremely important with the
current six month product cycle.  If you don't have product in the
initial 30-60 days then you miss the early adopters who will pay retail
to get the item.  After that you are competing with the net and zero
margins.

Dr. Yao, if you are listening, what is the situation in Hong Kong vis a
vis distribution?

Don
doryrus@mindspring.com