Subject: [Leica] Victory Day
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat May 8 10:19:41 2004

Nathan Wajsman said:

> Today is May 8th, the day World War II ended in Europe. In many
> countries various solemn events are taking place. I will visit the
> Commonwealth cemetery near Arnhem tomorrow morning.
>
> On this day, as a son of a Holocaust surviver, I want to remember and to
> thank the people who made victory over Nazi Germany possible:<<<<

Nathan,
On this day so many years ago I arrived home from school to find my father,
a fighting veteran of WW1, sitting by the radio holding his head and crying
uncontrollably. It scared the daylights out of me as I'd never seen my
father shed a tear over anything.

He was listening to the radio that the war was over in Europe and with many
of his bothers and sisters living in the old country and had survived as
best as we knew, he was completely overwhelmed by the news.

First I didn't know what to do, then I sat by his side and put my arm around
his shoulder as I didn't know what else to do for this very wonderful man
whom I knew had seen the horrors of the WW1 battle fields.

There are memories of all kinds for so many of us and like you, it's to give
thanks and offer a prayer for those who paid the price to make the world a
better place.

ted