Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.
From: langhans at compwrx.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Fri May 7 13:09:42 2004

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:47:34 +0200
> From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@netscape.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Ten years behind?  I think not.
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>

<< Snip>>

> Douglas
>
> BTW to those of us out there who took the plunge and bought the R8 or 9
> -- what real advantages did you get from it ? how often do you use its
> extra functions ? do you feel that it's helping you to record better
> images ?

I went from Rollei SL-35 (30 years) to Leica R4 (2 years) now to R8 (2
years)  Gained very accurate metering in any mode I want.  Exceptionally
bright viewfinder with diopter correction. Fits like a glove in my hand.
Not sure what "extra features" is has aside from improvements from my
older cameras.  Just the basics and that is what I like about it.  Well,
the +/- controls are convenient to reach.  Don't have to look away from
my view. Every control is right where an old camera buff wants them to
be.  I have used the flash metering mode on some older flashes when I
scatter them around with slaves.  That's cool, but not used very often my
me.

Disadvantages:  WEIGHT.  Need an R9 to carry on long walks/hike.  But
then again, the lenses weigh so much perhaps I wouldn't notice the
difference in the body weight when carting along 3 or 4 lenses.

Aram