Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Fri May 7 09:24:05 2004

Hi Douglas,

I was hoping that Leica would be updating the R6.2 when they brought out the R9 two years ago. They minor changes between the R8 and the R9 (weight, lockup, etc.) were just not worth the price differential between the two of them.

The R8 last a number of advantages over the R7 to me: The shape fits my hands like a glove, the incredibly bright viewfinder and the meter is the best meter in any camera I've ever used. I really like to use the R8 the most when in the studio. You can shoot from full Manual mode to Full AE. I generally use manual or Aperture Priority with the R8.

The only downside to me is the weight. It is one heavy camera for a long hike in the woods.

Regards,

Greg

PS: I found the prices you mention astronomical for CLA's. I use Kindermann Canada and Gerry Smith and I have never paid more than $275 (Canadian) for an Leica M or R CLA/Repair.