Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think so!.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed May 5 21:09:53 2004

On 5/5/04 4:56 PM, "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Tina Manley said:
>> If you look at the "photographers" that Leica promotes on their website,
>> it's very obvious that they are aiming for the "celebrity" market, not the
>> working photojournalists.
>>
>> Not sour grapes, just disappointment.  I still love my M's.<<<<
>
> Hi Tina,
> Yes quite right and they've been doing that for some time somewhat like the
> trash magazines that were good publications. Now all they do is publish
> who's shacking up with who in Hollywood and other mentally brain dead crap
> to titillate the morons who read this junk.
>
> Yes I realize the magazines derive huge amounts of revenue from this stuff.
> But using the celebrities Leica do who "play with their Leica's" doesn't
> impress me and I suspect many other serious Leica users to stay with or buy
> more Leica gear.
>
> Unfortunately I think Leica are constantly searching for any means to
> produce revenue and if "twinkle toes dinkie head the guitar player" uses a
> Leica and it helps sell one camera they're happy. But it'll not be
> successful in securing great numbers of young photographers to buy Leica.
>
> ted

Dear Esteemed mentors Tina and Ted:
Does Nikon and Canon use unknowns?
I'm sure they've been known to use a big name or two!
Celebrity endowments are as much the core of advertising as cleavage.
The practice of using a big name to sell ones wares does not mean you've
sold out to some effete market.  Let's not forget jolting Joe DiMaggio
selling coffee machines. And that boxer nowadays selling those double sided
hamburger machines which are selling like hotcake machines.

They should have double sided hotcake machines!
Waffles without the ridges.
But perfect circles.

Or squares.

Or rectangles in a 2/3 ratio.