Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed May 5 15:46:14 2004

On 5/5/04 <leica@rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)> thoughtfully wrote:

<snip>

>Why is the R series DOA for me?  Several reasons:
>
>1.  I own six EOS bodies and lenses covering the range from 14-400mm,
>plus flashes...

There's no better reason than this single reason. You have totally embraced a
system, learned its quirks and kinks, know its lenses, and can make them sing.

No other reason is necessary.

>2.  Finding someone who can repair R's,  in the Western Hemisphere at
>least, is problematic.

I THOUGHT there was a professional service available from Leica USA for
professionals. Am I wrong? Or are they just as slow as everyone else?

>3.  I've never yet seen an R in the hands of a professional PJ at an
>event.

I shuddered when I read this but your point about borrowing a body or broken
item carries weight. Of course borrowing an "extra" 1Ds might be a bit more
difficult.

>4.  Every workshop/pj convention/course I've ever been to was
>sponsored heavily by, among others, Canon or Nikon or both.  This
>tells me these guys WANT my business, and they want it SERIOUSLY.
>The top end cameras in the Canon line were designed FOR working pj's
>on several levels; I'm told the Nikons were too.

It's marketing. They have the big bucks for marketing and they can do it.
Marketing is almost NEVER a reason to buy anything.

>It matters.  I don't have time to think about my cameras, I'm busy
>thinking about my pictures... and I want a camera designed by someone
>who knows what I need.  I don't know that Leica's ever even thought
>about the marketing on that level.

I suspect they just can't afford to enter at the same level that Canon or Nikon
can. A complete marketing plan to embrace the pro photojournalist might cost
more than developing the digital M or the next major lens.

>This isn't to take anything away from the R, but ergonomics be
>damned, the guy who designed the 1n got inside my head to do it.
>First camera I've ever used that grew into my hand in a matter of
>about four seconds.  (And the F1N's I used when I started had
>something of the same thing...)

I feel this way about the R - it fits my hand perfectly, the controls are where
they ought to be. The R9 fixed the only qualm I have. AND I see the same quality
of design going into the Digital R back. The offerings from Canon are made by
the same brain-dead designers who made the VCRs you couldn't program.

I take your point about why a photojournalist wouldn't consider an R.

But I doubt there are many left shooting film in any shape or form. For those
who DO shoot film then the joys of the R's are still there.

Adam Bridge