Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed May 5 13:25:05 2004

I did not say full frame did not matter, only that there are only 2 cameras
which provide it.  as far as those not using full frame, the Leica digital
back has similar capability.  Personally, if I did not have all Leica R
lenses, I would buy the Kodak SLR PRO14n.  In my book it shoots rings
around the Canon 1Ds where it counts.  I don't have any use for 10fps, heck
I would be spending more time changing film than shooting at that rate. 4
fps is just about right.  Then again I'm not a PJ either.  I also do not
deny that all these features have a valid use, I personally have no need
for many of them.  But saying the Leica Digital back and R8/9 package is a
joke is also not true or fair, to many it will be the ideal package.  We
all have different needs and therefore we have many different choices.
Some look at price, others look at features, others look at reliability and
longevity, and then there are those who just look at how pretty it looks.
Yes it is a shame Leica management shunned the SLR like they did, but the
present camera is also a pretty nice package for those of us who do not
need all the latest features.  I would love to have a R8 or better yet a
R9.  But then I would have to give up either my SL or R4SP, as I do not
need 3 SLRs.  I cannot decide which of these excellent tools to give up.
;-)

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>        |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           05/05/2004 02:16 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       "'Leica Users Group'" <lug@leica-users.org>                             |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  RE: [Leica] Ten years behind?  I think not.                             |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

This is funny, Gene - So after all the whining from people about wanting
full frame, it really doesn't matter? What doesn't matter, quite
frankly, is that jump from 8.5 mgp from the new Canon 1D Mark II CAMERA,
to the 10 mgp of the Leica BACK. And the entire Canon camera costs about
what the Leica BACK will cost - and it will shoot at something like  8.5
fps for up to 40 frames, have terrific autofocus, state of the art
metering, an iso of 50 to 3200, etc. etc. etc. (And I am not a Canon
user, btw ;-) ) The Canon, which can take Leica lenses for manual use,
will blow the Leica out of the water, for about $2000 less for a
complete camera.

And yes, the Leica will also use film - once you use the "special" tool
to remove the back and cover the CCD, etc. etc.