Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak BW400CN
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Tue May 4 07:34:53 2004

Ted:

>If anything probably the scanner. Not that I'd recommend a Polaroid
>Sprintscan scanner only because it creates more grief than it's worth when
>you're in a hurry and sometimes must insert the same neg a half dozen times
>before the machine finally locks on the right neg to be scanned.

What scanning software are you using?  Do you scan individual frames or in
batches?

I've settled on Vuescan.  Did a comparison test a few years ago, and liked
the shadow details I got from Vuescan over the Polaroid-supplied software.
I've found that sometimes the scanner acts up if I'm scanning more than one
frame per strip.  To alleviate that, I just scan one frame at a time.  I
usually just want selected frames, anyway.  I set it up to auto-eject the
strip after each scan, so even if I'm scanning multiple frames per strip, it
gets ejected between each one.  Doing it that way, I rarely have a problem
with it.

That said, I'm extremely happy with how my SprintScan scans.  I keep
knocking on wood that it lives a long life so I don't have to worry about
finding another that scans silver halide film as well.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Kodak BW400CN)