Subject: [Leica] That's it, I'm throwing my cameras in the river
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 27 15:25:02 2004

On 4/23/04 6:42 AM, "Kyle Cassidy" <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Why bother to go on?
>
> http://www.darrenholmes.com/
> http://lithiumpicnic.deviantart.com/gallery/
>
> SPLASH!

Not saying this to be argumentative buy Kyle's work is 8.8 times better than
this stuff which is pretty ok as I go. But looks a lot like Sudek whom I
hate. Whom?

Early in the game I was let in on a human nature thing with photographers
and their portfolio's. Photographers and their work:
When you see another photographers "book" portfolio there are generally
always a few shots in there which blow you away.
You think "How'd they do that? I couldn't do that!"
... But the thing is they don't know how they did it either.
Just like you don?t know how you did some of your best shots.
Some you do. But some just came from the percentages involved with pretty
constant shooting. You're bound to get lucky. And luck comes to the prepared
or able bodied whatever.

So there is an inherent tendency to get freaked out by the photographer
sitting next yous work. Thing is they are just as convinced that you are
better than THEY are and that they have to hop to it to catch up.

So I don?t sweat it when I see one of Edward Weston's peppers or Paul
Otterbridges prints. I figure they feel just as threatened by me as I am to
them!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon

New-improved
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] well I've got one up at the LUGallery)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] That's it, I'm throwing my cameras in the river)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] That's it, I'm throwing my cameras in the river)