Subject: [Leica] the Rose on/off switch
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 21 15:47:11 2004

Aaron Sandler and others re:
Subject:  the Rose on/off switch

The simple answer to this on-off thing is when you put the camera away. Like
in yer cupboard at home, then you turn it off, trip the shutter, turn the
shutter dial or whatever thrills your camera handling, that's the only time
you do whatever.

Simply because if you have a camera with you, it should automatically always
be ready to go hanging on your left shoulder for absoute lift to eye and
shoot! Or right shoulder whatever your thrill of the day.

If it isn't there and you have it snuggly tucked in your bag of choice the
world will come to an end right before your eyes while yer screwing around
undoing the bag, fiddiling to get the camera, and no matter how swift you
think you are during a trial run at a peaceful moment, you may think and say
your fast... trust me you'll never be fast enough!!

It hangs on your shoulder or off yer neck and if it isn't in either of those
places forget your capturing the moment of a life time. Excluding of course,
..."if it's in your hand!" Even then?

Been there got caught so many times, and no matter who you think you are and
how good you are supposed to be, the world around us in split second moments
is usually beyond our re-action time even when we have the camera to our
eye.

And people who are not shooting everyday have  slower re-action time than
those who's income and photographic life depend on shooting serious stuff
every single day!

Bag in camera and something happens? Hell just leave it there, unless
there's debris and bodies all over the place then you have some extra time
for cool pictures.

ON-off switches? Yep they're good, as is any method you consistantly use.
This switch situation is .... "to each his own!"

And other than that, everyone of us no matter what system on-off thing we
use, if we do not use it consistently some day you'll screw-up.

And Aaron said it right on the mark......

>>>I suspect we each have slightly different styles that mean that one
person's ideal is another person's "are you kidding me?"<<<

Quite frankly it can't be described any better. Like I said, it's "to each
his own!"

ted

Message from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] the Rose on/off switch)