Subject: [Leica] Lens shade Summicron 2/50
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 13:02:48 2004

Feli

My 50mm Summicron is allergic to broccoli, although I love the stuff as
long as it is not cooked. ;-)  I have thought of this, but don't think it
would be strong enough when applying a plastic container top to the hood to
keep out dust etc.

Gene

I have a wonderful Summicron-DR with the fantastic clip on hood, which
can be mounted in reverse and that way not only protects the front
element but also most of the lens body.

I also have the latest version of the 50 Summicron. This one features
the inbred, collapsible hood which recesses with the slightest amount of
pressure, thus offering ZERO protection for the front element. Obviously
the schnapps ration must have been a little higher than usual when our
friends at Leica came up with this idea. I can't figure out why they
didn't add some simple twist lock or something to keep the darn thing in
place. My 90/2 Cron also suffers from the same design flaw.

My solution has been to use the thick rubber bands you find holding
together bushels of broccoli. These are the perfect diameter and width
to keep the shade from collapsing and are easily removed and stored
wrapped around the lens when it is not in use.

Feli