Subject: [Leica] re:Doug Sharp's loose-fitting lens shade for the 50 Summicron
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 10:24:54 2004

   The 50 Summicron/f2s that I use -- rigid and collapsible, black or
chrome-- and others I have seen have a ridge running around the front of the lens,
just below the front.
   If you are using the correct hood (#12585)-- plastic or metal, German or
Canadian -- there are two push-buttons on the front of the hood that you push
as you put the hood onto the lens. When you release the push-button into the
ridge on the lens, tiny knife blades inside the hood go into the ridge on the
lens and hold the hood firmly on the lens. You store the hood on the lens by
reversing the hood,  pushing in the buttons as you move the hood into the lens's
ridges.
   If your hood is like that -- and still pops off -- your push buttons may
have missing knife blades.  You can adapt the hood you have to fit over the
front of the lens by cutting a piece of red felt to fit inside the hood until the
hood fits snugly over the knurled metal front of the lens.[Because the hood
is plastic [and difficult to glue properly] you might first try self stick tape
cut to size; that might solve your problem.] And, if you use glue, don't put
the shade onto the lens until the glue is completely dry. -- bob cole

Replies: Reply from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] re:Doug Sharp's loose-fitting lens shade for the 50 Summicron)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] re:Doug Sharp's loose-fitting lens shade for the 50 Summicron)