Subject: [Leica] 90mm Summicron lens
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Apr 16 23:54:02 2004

This is the 90 Summicron-M model that I have.  It's optically the pre-Asph,
but mechanically it's a transitional model, smaller than the original 90
Summicron, but a bit larger than the final lens.  I like its handling
because the focus ring is a little bit farther up the barrel than the later
model, making it easier to focus for a guy with big hands.   It weighs a
smidge over 400 grams (similar to the current Elmarit).  In contrast, the
90 AA weighs just over 500 grams, and the old 90 Summicron is close to 700
grams.

I agree completely with what Robert, B.D. and others have said about the
optical quality.  It ain't the ASPH, but it is quite usable wide open, and
stopped down a little, it's as good as you need if you're not shooting
mural-sized prints.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] 90mm Summicron lens)