Subject: [Leica] Tea in England
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Wed Apr 14 15:56:12 2004

> I add my 0.01 cent to the thread ... London may not be the best place for
> tea in Britain. Devon and Cornwall are to my knowledge the very best
> places. Not so much for the beverage itself but for all the rest. Try a
> genuine Devonshire Cream Tea (with butter-homemade scones, wild
> strawberries and lots of Devonshire clotted cream) or if you feel _really_
> hungry, an Olde English Tea (same as above but towards the end, the lady
> brings a large portion of chocolate pastry with extra clotted
> cream). Many
> good places for that, in Devon villages (not in towns). This
> sort of event is worth a couple of pictures too (to remain in
> topic). Best
> to take the pictures before getting clotted cream on your fingers and
> lenses.

One of the best - even though I understand it's changed hands - is the Corn
Dolly on the main street in South Molton.

I was their "Beta tester" before they opened almost 20 years ago. Last time
I visited it was still good.

Clotted cream with clots big enough to choke the arteries of an Elephant,
Exmoor venison pasties and a thing called a kings ransom - home made bread
with a thick slice of local ham covered half and half in farmhouse Stilton
and Cheddar then grilled... along with the normal teas, scones, cakes etc

My waistline is still paying the price... :-)  It is possible to die from
cholesterol before finishing a holiday in Devon

I used to either go there or the Japanese studio potter across the road for
my morning or afternoon tea - he had is own version of the tea ceremony -
for making coffee - starting from the unroasted beans roasted and ground by
his assistant in time for coffee break...!

tim