Subject: [Leica] PART 4: of Digilux 2.... THE FUN PART! :-)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Apr 13 16:14:53 2004

The histogram is just a multi-spot meter on steroids.  All you need to do
with it is make sure that the "mountains" don't go past 100%, so your
highlights won't get blown.  On many digital cameras, if you don't use the
histogram, you get blown highlights if you believe the camera's meter.
Even in relatively flat lighting.  Shooting such cameras is like shooting
Kodachrome 25 at high noon in southern California.  The histogram lets you
get the highlights under the barrier.

The Digiluxes 1 and 2 seem to give us about 1/2 a stop more "headroom"
built in to the metering.  so you may not need the histogram under normal
circumstances.  You will probably still need it with contrasty situations
like rim light or backlight unless the matrix metering is very smart.

As for the viewfinder issues, I was just suggesting that projected
LCD-based framelines might be a cost-effective way to have an M-like
viewfinder in a digital camera, Many of us dislike EVFs and those squinty
zoomy optical finders. The information needed to generate and move the
framelines is already available in the camera, and a mass-produced LCD
matrix should be cheaper to produce than the mechanically-coupled stuff in
M viewfinder.

The nice thing about digital viewfinder clutter is you can turn it off,
provided the manufacturer gives you a steenkin' off button. :-)  Using a
histogram is really no techier than making the little red LED light
up--just tweak the aperture dial until the "mountains" move to the left of
100%.  Then make it disappear, and shoot away until things change.

--Peter

 B. D. said:
>I have to say that I'm amused by the fact that on the one hand, people
talking about wanting a camera that works like an M, doesn't have all the
digifoldarol, etc. etc., and on the other someone's asking for a histogram
superimposed on the viewfinder - talking about digifoldarol and not
destroying the entire idea of that bright, clear, uncluttered
viewfinder....:-)<<<

Nathan Wajsman replied:
> Not me, B.D., I don't want any histograms or anything else. My ideal
digital camera would be just like an M, with a pure, optical,unadulterated
viewfinder. All the electronic info can be relegated to the LCD.<<