Subject: [Leica] London tea
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 07:53:16 2004

When I was a child and my grandfather was still farming in North Louisiana,
they were still using a wood stove.  My Grandmother would get up and make a
couple pans of biscuits, three skillets of cornbread, and put some snap beans
and maybe some potatoes on the back burner.  She would fry up some ham and
maybe sausage, and then my grandfather would come in and fry the eggs.
Everyone got theirs cooked the way they liked them, and there was usually a  crowd
there.
One pan of the cornbread was taken out and split between the two blue tick
hounds.  The rest stayed on the table after breakfast, like Tina says,  covered
with a cloth.  Buttermilk with cornbread was popular, as was  blazing hot
coffee poured into the saucer so it could cool, and then sipped from  the saucer.
Another thing my grandmother liked with cornbread was clabber.   That's
unpasturized milk that is allowed to curdle, kinda like yogurt, I  guess.
When we came in for supper, sometimes they fried up some fish if anyone had
caught them, otherwise it was probably smoked ham.   My folks  were not very
well off by today's standards, but I don't ever remember being  hungry there.
Sonny
In a message dated 4/12/2004 9:13:48 AM Central Standard Time,
images@InfoAve.Net writes:

At 09:44  AM 4/12/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>>We, on the farm, used to have  breakfast, lunch (called dinner!) and high
>>tea about 6.00 pm. We  did not have dinner. It was, apparently, much more
>>healthy but  most people eat their main meal in the evening nowadays.

It used to be  the same in the rural South.  The biggest meal of the day was
dinner  - at noon.  Then everybody went back out and worked on the farm all
day.  Supper was either leftovers (that had been sitting on the table
covered with cloth to keep off the flies) or, if there were no leftovers,  a
glass of buttermilk with cornbread crumbled in it.  Now people are  not at
home in the middle of the day so the big meal has migrated to  supper - not
nearly as healthy to eat and go to bed.  I've always  heard you should eat
breakfast like a king (or queen), lunch like a  prince, and supper like a
pauper.

Tina
Regards,

Sonny
_http://www.sonc.com_ (http://www.sonc.com/)

"You can't always get  what you want, but sometimes, if you try, you can get
what you need" The Rolling Stones

Replies: Reply from crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts) ([Leica] London tea)