Subject: [Leica] Confession time! - well, it used to be anyway
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Thu Apr 8 11:12:07 2004

B. D. Colen wrote:

> First off, Phong, what lab? If you drop the film
> at most labs there will invariably be some
> scratches, and there will be dust to deal with
> afterwards. Additionally, there will be color
> correction issues with film.

B.D.,

If I have to do my own processing, I would prefer
digital also.

I use A&I for film development and proofs.
They are a bit expensive, but the client pays for that.
A retired printer is doing the final prints
for me.  She used to have a commercial lab,
but did not want to convert to digital.
I am also testing out a new lab in Montreal.
I just don't spend the 40-60 hours that Jim
mentioned.  With film, I would only do the color
correction for the final prints (actually, I specify
the needed color corrections to the printer;
I don't do my own printing for wedding work).

All the labs I know, both local and remote, expect
me to send them color corrected files, working
with profiles they supply, unless I am willing
to pay them a lot of money.  A couple of minutes
per photo add up to about 6-10 hours.

Contrary to my expectation, scratches and
especially dust has not been a problem at
all for me with new negatives.

I understand that you have the luxury of
not working with proofs (you only deliver the
final product).  If I could do that, I
may prefer digital also.  If I were
shooting with B&W only, I may also prefer
digital.

I love digital for the instant feedback,
and am working very hard to switch over.
But digital has not won me over 100% yet.
And believe me, I tried very hard, and shot
digital almost exclusively for 2 years.  And
I continue to try to improve my digital skills.
For example, I plan to attend the Cone Editions
Digital Workflow Workshop  this summer
http://www.inkjetmall.com/store/ws/workshop-cdw.html
and see what I can learn there to improve my digital
workflow.

Anyway, right now, I am comfortable with both processes,
so I let the clients decide.  They also decide between
color and B&W.  For both 35mm and digital, I shoot Canon EOS,
so use the same lenses, flash, battery pack, etc.
It's really all the same to me.  The client likes digital,
I shoot digital.  The client likes film, I shoot film.
No difference in price.

> Digital wedding shooting is a gift from the photo gods.

I am not sure if this feeling is universal.  It is for me,
as it allows me to shoot low-end (say less than $1200)
weddings.  In that range, it's hard to make much of a profit
if I have to pay $200 for film and processing, just to
throw some numbers out.

> Give me a call if you want to talk about it.

No, I rather settle this in person.  :-)
Actually, I hope to see you in person some time
this summer.  Perhaps we'll do another Boston LUG thingy.
Too busy at the moment though.

Cheers,

- Phong