Subject: [Leica] Portfolio Review
From: lea at whinydogpress.com (lea)
Date: Tue Apr 6 06:19:55 2004

Phong,

You have some interesting work up with some wonderful lighting.
Counting 1-17 left to right this is what I'd ditch (and why).

Image number 4
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/04_crw_4424a-bwp.
htm
there is no reason for her hands to be up by her breasts and I find it
very distracting. Man, with those hands folded or on her hips this would
be killer...it's a great expression.

Image number 6
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/06_crw_6577ap.htm
You are a man, this is a young girl. You are trying to create an
environment where moms and dads will drop their children (seniors, maybe
younger) off to be photographed. If my daughter's senior proof package
came back with a shot like this in it I'd be very, very offended. (I'm
not a prude but I find no reason to have young girls looking like they
just stepped off a street corner.) The lighting is good, the composition
is right on but I think you have to step past that to the message it
sends. And to me it doesn't send a good one.

Image number 8
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/08_crw_0881p.htm
WHAT is going on here? It is such a confusing image...she looks like
she's backed against something that is poking her in her back causing
great discomfort, counting the seconds until this sitting is over so she
can relax. The soft focus/sharp focus thing going on with her face is
nice...just not on this image.

Image number 9
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/09_crw_8155p.htm
I like the movement in this shot but that red rose is distracting as can
be. Bummer because her expression is terrific.

Image number11
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/11_crw_8182.htm
You might try a tighter crop on her face/torso. I find the blue and
brown stuff to the right very distracting.

Image number 12
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/12_crw_4833p.htm
You're going to get whipped by a painter wearing a bikini over a whiskey
barrell on a deserted island while somewhere there is a horse running
wild without a saddle. LOSE THIS SHOT! Every woman who sees your
portfolio will thank you. I speak for all of them.

Image number 14
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/14_crw_8559p.htm
If this image has definition between the hair and the background in the
actual print, keep it; otherwise, it looks like she has a whole, whole,
whole lot of hair.

Image number 15
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/15_crw_0912.htm
This is a fun perspective and one that could work very well. The
expression here seems a bit pained to me...maybe that's what you were
after but maybe there's a different image from this shoot where she
looks just a bit more relaxed and comfortable. That shoulder hitched up
is what causes me to think she's uncomfy.

The images that would sell me on using you as a photographer are these:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/13_crw_6593-bwp.h
tm
Great pose and lighting. This should be a poster. I love this shot.
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/02_crw_4698-bw2.h
tm
Wonderful.
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/05_crw_6466-bwp.h
tm
What a unique treatment for a large man. Nothing cliche about it. Where
he could have come off looking very intimidating or mundane with a
different camera angle, this one makes him look just wonderfully
friendly and good-natured. Two thumbs up.
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/PortraitPortfolio/01_crw_4243.htm
A great capture of a split second in time...this young woman looks so
LIKE HERSELF.

Your use of light is excellent; you've got some great shadow things
happening in many of your images.
Lea