Subject: [Leica] Grits
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Apr 5 00:00:19 2004

On 4/4/04 11:36 PM, "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Mark
>
> No, grits are/ is hominy meal.  Hominy is alkali treated corn.
>
> Jerry
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> On 4/4/04 4:41 PM, "Sam" <sam@osheaven.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Any list of the most disgusting food substances know to man must include
>>> Hawaiian poi. I've never tasted grits, but I doubt it can stand up to
>>> poi for insipid flavor.
>>>
>>> Sam S
>>>
>> Grits is ground up corn. NO big deal. Or other grains like millet.
>> You're confusing grits with greens.
>>
>> Mark Rabiner
>> Photography
>> Portland Oregon
>>
>> New-improved
>> http://rabinergroup.com/

Googled:

What is a grit?

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native
Americans centuries ago. They made both "corn" grits and "hominy" grits.

Corn Grits
Corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned with
forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where they
are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh
screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and
the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product.
This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal
preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before
cooking.

Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in
the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or
bran comes loose and rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its
original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed several times,
they are spread to dry either on cloth or screen dryers

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon

New-improved