Subject: [Leica] if you're going to go digital ...
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Thu Apr 1 07:14:54 2004

I have not had a problem with any Lithium Ion battery loosing its charge
when sitting around unused.  They seem to last just fine, compared to other
types of batteries, at least in my experience.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Leicajay@aol.com                             |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           03/28/2004 04:01 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       lug@leica-users.org                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] if you're going to go digital ...                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In a message dated 3/28/04 4:40:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
henningw@archiphoto.com writes:

> Not with Lithium Ion. And in pretty much all of the cameras that can
> take AA's, using alkalines lets you take far fewer shots than NiMh.

Li-Ion's lose their charge when not in use even if not in the camera.  Says

so right in the instructions, and confirmed by my experience going back at
least four years with the Sony Digicam I use for dental photography.  True
they're
not as fast discharging as antiquated memory-effect-ridden NiCads (like in
the R8 drive), maybe a bit better than NiMH but still not good-to-go at
full
power like disposible lithiums or even fresh Alkalines.   Agreed that
alkaline
AA's have far shorter life in digicams than Lithium AA's and in turn any
rechargeable, however as I said, for occasional short-term use a set of AA
alkalines
are better than a dead Li-Ion that takes hours to charge up.   And  when
wifey
goes to visit her sister and forgets the charger, the fact her digicam
takes
AA's is a good thing.