Subject: [Leica] More RD-1 news
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Mar 26 18:47:33 2004

On Friday, March 26, 2004 Dan C thoughtfully wrote:

>http://www.dp-now.com/archives/000677.html
>
>Apparently only 10,000 will be made, period, and half are expected to be
>sold in Japan.  And the price...are you sitting down?...$3500 USD.

Looking through the specs I notice that there is no manual setting for white
balance.

And there's this strange set of B&W modes that simulate various color filters.
What's the deal with this? You can fork over $3k for a camera and not buy
Photoshop? I'd rather clap a real filter on the lens. OR have a version of the
camera that's JUST monochrome and then I can use those real filters with a
substantial gain in resolution. Sigh, probably no one is making a monochrome
sensor.

If Leica does make a digital M then I'd desperately hope that they make a
no-holds-barred all out monochrome version. I never put color film in either of
my M's and I'd pay extra to get a full-frame monochrome sensor that ran from 100
to 1600 with an optional 3200 setting that's noisier but will let me
post-process on my computer. Why? Because the M and it's wonderful lenses are
made for available dark shooting. It's the joy of owning a range finder camera.
Couple that with the pleasures of digital shooting with a histogram available so
I can really get a handle on exposure and you have an amazingly powerful tool
for black and white photography.

If there is any company that could make and market a monochrome camera it's
Leica.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] More RD-1 news)