Subject: [Leica] m4-p rangefinder adjustment / realignment in Chicago?
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 11:24:22 2004

I understand what you are saying, and I am in the same boat as I bought my
M6TTL last January right as they announced it was being discontinued.  As
far as the film speed dial on the back cover, there were many who hated the
M6TTL dial as being too hard to adjust.  So as with all the other changes
demanded by users when the MP came out, Leica chose to use a dial that was
easier to adjust.  Personally the M6TTL is just about perfect, all they had
to do to please me was fix the finder.  Although I do like the black
lacquer paint, but the only way to get that on a M6TTL is to buy one of the
Ultra High priced specials, which is WAY OUT of my price range.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Leicajay@aol.com                             |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           03/26/2004 01:00 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       lug@leica-users.org                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] m4-p rangefinder adjustment / realignment in Chicago?       |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In a message dated 03/26/2004 1:49:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
grduprey@rockwellcollins.com writes:
My employer, Collins Radio used to do it all the time on their Amateur
line.  It is done today all the time  when parts are not available or parts
have gone out of production.  This is very common in industry.

Gene
Agreed, but it presupposes a certain level of compatibility between old and

new models which Leica rangefinders have a particularly proportion.   Model

changes with many other camera manufacturers tend to be a bit more radical
than
with Leicas, or else they'd probably do it more also.  There's nothing
wrong
with the practice per-se--except perhaps in the instance of the early-M7
rangefinder and early MP film dial, where in the former instance people who
were
loyal to Leica and anted up right away were rewarded with a now-stigmatized

product (look at Rich's FS post today where he makes special mention of the
serial #
of an M7 being "over 285xxxxx") or a bill for $270 to upgrade; and the in
latter instance where people buying the MP from pictures in brochures are
rewarded with a filmspeed dial they might possibly need to gaffer-tape to
keep it
from moving.