Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 comments! :-)
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Thu Mar 25 14:52:04 2004

I have been using the Pro 1 for a couple of weeks now.  I find the focus
slow  (the AF is fast, but the USM lens rotates leisurely), noisy at ISO
400, and the body feels a touch flimsy.  It is a very small camera, no
larger than the G5.

I also received an Olympus 8080 yesterday which seems to be better than the
Pro 1 in terms of image quality and noise, but I will have to use it more to
be sure.

The Sony 828 has fast auto focus but noise-wise it is a disaster and I
noticed significant colour fringing.  The camera is also large and heavy.
This is probably the biggest disappointment in recent times.

My favourite is the Panasonic LC1 - great handling and ergonomics with
excellent image quality.  It may be a 5mp camera, but a good 5mp can
outperform a under-developed 8mp one.  Lack of AF assist light is an issue
and in dim conditions, I need to switch the camera to manual focus, which is
easily accomplished with the LC1.  This is a better looking and handling
version of the Leica Digilux 2 but costs some US$600 less.

My impression is that while there are now a number of 8mp cameras on the
market, more work needs to be done to improve their image quality - sensor
size is an issue here.  My ancient Canon D30 (3mp CMOS) offers better image
quality.  There is a lot more to it than just pixel count.

Joseph

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Digilux 2 comments! :-))