Subject: Re: [Leica] Hoods for Leica lenses
From: Leicajay@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:33:06 -0500

In a message dated 3/16/2004 11:43:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, nickelca@hotmail.com writes:

> I have the following lenses.
>
> A collapsable  50 summitar
> A collapsable 50 summicron
> And a 134 4.0 elmar
> What hoods can I use? I have the hood for the new 50 2.8 elmar but I still
> get flare. Any thoughts? It does not have to be Leica. I use my cameras....

As John said the Summitar uses a propretary hood which is pretty cumbersome.  But the collapsible Summicron will take the 12585 vented metal 35/50 shade and also the plastic version of same (12538)made for the 11819 Cron.  They will shade *much* better than the screw-in shade for the current Elmar--and as a matter of fact, the 12585/12538 will fit the current elmar as well and although the 12538 will not "latch" in the reversed-for-storage position, the 12585 will and makes a much more compact package than the screw-on shade.

The 135 Elmar takes the 12575 and its predecessor IUFOO.

The Summitar is a very flare-prone lens, the collapsible Cron less so but still sensitive (as is the rigid/DR to a lesser extent).  No shade will help if the sun is in the shot of course.  And if you are using a UV filter, as well you should if your Cron and Summitar front glass is free of coating marks since the coatings are quite delicate, make sure it's a B+W MRC Multicoated, as they do not increase flare at all.  (Purists may take note that it is possible to swap the B+W MRC glass into a Leica/Leitz filter rim).

If your Cron/Summitar already have cleaning marks on the front, that would cause a hefty increase in flare in and of itself.

The 135 Elmar is a less flare-prone lens--not so much due to coatings as to the narrower angle of view which keeps the sun out of a greater % of shots.