Subject: Re: [Leica] Helping Hands
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:03:58 -0800

Tina Manley said:

>>> Exactly, Ted.  You can always answer for me.  I also took along my
daughter
> as a distraction ;-)<<<<

Good move Tina taking your daughter!! :-)

When I was shooting regularly for magazines and a writer was assigned as a
writer-photographer team, I always hoped she'd be a good looking woman,
simply because it's a wonderful distraction and made it easy to shoot
without the subjects being aware it was happening. ;-)

>>> I gave her the Digilux with a softened flash and she took photos and
showed
> them to the people.  They really enjoyed looking at themselves and forgot
> about me taking photos in another part of the room.  She got some good
> photos, too, but very different, of course.<<<<,

I did similar things with both my sons taking them to various events, first
as hired hands to carry gear, that was a big bore for them. ;-)  But
eventually with a Leica in hand so they could learn to shoot. Later one of
them became a professional with his own business, the other shoots a mean
camera when he takes pictures of his boys, wife and other family things.
Actually all 4 of my children are very good photographers. And for several
years one of the girls had her own sport stock agency.

And I believe each of them, as I'm sure with your daughter, it gave them an
entirely different perspective of what "dad did!" Or "Mom does." Not that
they didn't know I was a photographer, but being on location and how we
relate to people, being quietly unobtrusive and the sometime intensity we
work under.

One of the nicest compliments I receive on occasion from my son Scott when I
praise him on a great shoot. He comes back with, "Well who do you think
taught me!" :-)

Your turn is coming. ;-)

ted

Message from "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> (Re: [Leica] Helping Hands)