Subject: RE: [Leica] epson digital RF report pages
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:20:47 -0500

What can I say - we disagree.

Sure with a box full of filters, I can do the same thing. But I don't have to have the filters, and I don't have to think about them.

And I'm not doing studio work, so don't talk to me about view cameras, or even Hassies for that matter.

And set up to shoot in a given condition? I shoot for up to 12 hours at a stretch, in widely varying lighting conditions - from inside dark rooms, to outside on beaches - in the same day - and that makes digital a godsend. I don't have the situation of just having loaded Tri-x, shot a half-dozen frames at 800, and then follow client outside into brilliant sunlight where I want Fuji Acros, and therefore have to change film and waste 5/6ths of a roll - just switch isos. Believe me, for the work I do, it's a godsend.

Yes, it's far cheap than film - AND processing. I already have the computer and drive space. CDs - and even DVDs - are cheap, when I pay a bit over 10 bucks to buy, develop, and get a contact sheet from a roll of Tri-X. And forget color. For the cost of one color roll I can get 100 CDs. And once I have the cards, I have the cards.

I have yet to have digital take more time than film after processing - what I have found, as I said, is that it can easily  take as long as scanning and manipulating film for printing. But don't forget - you don't have to spend an ungodly amount of time getting dust off the damn image with digital, while you often do with film.

It all depends, George, what kind of photography you do, why you do it, and what it costs you to do.

B. D.