Subject: [Leica] Re: More is better (V26 #261)
From: "Michael E. Berube" <MEB@GoodPhotos.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:03:45 -0500

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:00:11 -0800 (PST), Doug Herr quoth unto the boundless Leica Ether regarding the forthcoming Epson Cosina digital that will take Leica mount lenses...
>I also welcome additional choices... but I don't see that they've
>solved the impossible technical challenge.  They've avoided the
>technical challenges by not using a full-frame sensor.

I used to think that the 1.5X conversion (crop) factor would bother me when I first switched from a SLR to a DSLR as well, but in practice I've realised that the widest focal length that I usually used with my FM2n or F100 was a 24/2.8. I needed only to use a 17/2.8 to replicate that same aproximate angle of view with the 1.5X conversion. Sigma's EX 17-35 works GREAT because any of the fall off that the lens may exhibit with film is 'cropped' out when using it to procure a 25.5mm focal length on my DSLR. (The open secret about DSLRs with a DX or less than 36X24 chip is that they help make up for what 'lesser' glass lacks by only shooting through the sweet spot of any lens you put on it.)

With the fine and much wider lenses available to use as Leica/Cosina users, nice wide angle photographs (out to 18mm 35 equiv.) will not be much of a problem. My 35 Skopar will now become my '50', my Summarit will be a nice '75' and my Elmar 90 will be a fantastic '135' (and therefore not get much digital use.) 35mm is the widest I currently shoot with my Leicas, but a 12 or 15 ('18' or '23' 35 equiv. respectively) are also well within reach if I need to go really wide. Most likely I will get a 21 and be happy with daily shooting at '32'. If selective focus gets beyond what I like optically, it can be changed in post process.

I was looking at a Digilux 2 as a possible small body to throw into my bag for weddings (backing up my Nikon DSLRs) but if this Epson hits the market in a timely manner at all at anything approaching a reasonable price, I'm on the list. I think also that a lot of PJs who sold their venernable Leica's to help finance new DSLR equipment a few years ago (that's how I bought my M4-P!) will find their way back to using Leica glass as well when they can incorporate that glass into a realistic modern day workflow.
(Don't sell all of your glass too soon Ted!)
:)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com