Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW and conflicted with PhotoShop
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:31:13 -0600

Keith:

>I had my screen set
>so that the blacks are very deep so the picture looked the way I would print
>in a darkroom.
>
>This just brings me back to how does one anticipate other screen settings
>and what will be seen?

The histogram display is your friend.  You can see where your range of
values fall.  If the histogram shows you don't have any absolute black
values, yet you see them on the screen, it's time to adjust your monitor.

Scroll down to the "small experiment" section here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/sony-artisan.shtml

That will show you well you can distinguish between blackest black and
blacker black.  :)

I borrowed this (with permission) from John Brownlow, aka Johnny Deadman:

http://canid.com/calibration.html

If nothing else, it's an easy way to see how much of the gray scale you're
seeing.

- --
Eric
http://canid.com/