Subject: [Leica] new lens technology
From: rclompus@cox.net
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:48:42 -0500

Dave,

I have worked with the glasses you mentioned.  They were indeed for use in
underdeveloped countries.  The lens power was adjustable by the user or a
breifly trained technician to correct for small to moderate amounts of
hyperopia (farsightedness) or myopia (nearsightedness).  The lenses were
made from a stiff membrane on one side, a more flexible membrane on the
other and oil in between.  A syringe type device "injected" the right amount of
oil to create a plus or minus power lens.  It is still in development.  The lens
mentioned in the article by Phillips could have broader usage than spectacle
lenses.  Interesting technology.  On the other hand, it may be a "cure" looking
for a "disease."

Richard Clompus, OD
Roaonke, VA

> From: "David E. Labovitz" <del@pscc.com>
> Date: 2004/03/04 Thu AM 08:07:54 EST
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] new lens technology
>
> I recall some years ago a mechanical (hydraulic?) technology being
developed for use in field-adjustable plastic eyeglasses for distribution in
under-developed, poorly-endowed parts of the world.