Subject: [Leica] Re: Ambient light + Strobe metering question
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:16:16 -0600

Eric:

>Thats what I don't get! - I can't just set my flash to 5.6!
>I have a monolight that lets me adjust power.
>How do I figure out what "f 5.6" using my incident flash meter in an ambient
>lit setting?

>I am using an incident flash meter - it measure the ambient PLUS the flash.
>At least that what the manual indicates.

How do you meter with it?  It's been years since I've used a flash meter.
I'd either have the meter hooked to the flash via a sync cord, and taking a
meter reading triggered the flash, or I'd set the meter in "flash" mode and
then manually trigger the flash.  The meter would then wait for the flash,
and would be smart enough to show you the flash result.  If I recall
correctly, my meter has a special mode that will show me the combined
exposures, too.  If you're wanting to set the flash for a proper exposure at
5.6, then adjust the power until your flash meter indicates 5.6 is the
proper aperture.

What meter do you have?  Odds are good that somebody here might have
hands-on experience your particular model.

Or, if you know your guide number, you can use that to get an approximate
exposure.  f-stop = GN / flash to subject distance.

So if you have a hypothetical guide number of 100, and you want the flash
set for 5.6 then the flash needs to be 18 feet away.  Or adjust your power
to 25% and you can shoot with your flash 9 feet away.  Probably not exactly
because I don't think the power adjustment is exactly proportional to the
amount of light emitted.  When you double the distance, you need 4x the
light for the same exposure.

Eric

Replies: Reply from "eric" <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Ambient light + Strobe metering question)
Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Ambient light + Strobe metering question)