Subject: Re: [Leica] A Grudging Concession to Digital, Made With Regret
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:36:52 +0100

Marc,

You do NOT have to replace the scanner and printer every six months. The
scanner technology is moving forward, but at a slower pace than computer
technology in general and definitely much slower than digital image
capture technology. My Nikon LS-2000 film scanner is 4 or 5 years old,
and while it has been superceded by newer models, it still produces very
respectable images with certainly enough resolution to make good 8x10
prints.

Nathan

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 03:56 AM 2/25/04 -0500, Dan C wrote:
> >Just think of what the results will be when you use a better scanner and
> >printer.
> >

> Thanks, Dan, for a most thoughtful post.  The truth is that I am astonished
> at the results I am getting from an inexpensive scanner and mid-range
> printer.  I do not want to find myself so committed to digital that I have
> to spent $12,000 every six months to upgrade my scanner and printer just to
> stay current.  I have normally been satisfied with the purchase of used
> Leica lenses, and I will probably continue to buy technology from the last
> generation.  Darkrrom technology pretty much settled out before the Second
> World War, and the advances after that were incremental, as in the change
> from normal enlarging lenses to APO models.  Once digital reaches a similar
> position of stability, if it does during my lifetime, I will be more
> interested in purchasing new and top-of-the-line gear.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!
>
> --