Subject: Re: [Leica] window light
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:06:21 -0800

Eric said and showed:
Subject: [Leica] window light

> http://canid.com/current/kneeling.html
>
> I like the light.  What do you think?<<<<<<,

Hi Eric,
Well some of the best light is straight old fashion window light.
Unfortunately many shooters think they need flash, hot lights or other light
do-dads to take pictures. But in reality there's nothing better nor simpler
and free than window light.

Imagine the painter / artist Rembrandt who basically had nothing but window
and candle light to work with as he did his paintings. And when we look at
the incredibley beautiful light in his works of art and all it is, was his
ability to "see, recognize and use beautiful natural light on his subjects."
Quite frankly it's a no brainer because all one has to do is study how light
is effecting the scene or the subject with the "free window light" falling
on it.

And it's through his paintings over the years I've learned more about
lighting and light use than from any other person. It's because of this, I
constantly promote LIGHT - EYES - ACTION to produce interesting photographs.

And in your case the simplicity of window light is well executed. Maybe
other members could take heart and the next time they're looking to
photograph someone, they might walk them or sit them  in the light of a
window. However not hot blasting sun-light booming in the window.

Many artists of old had studios with huge windows facing to the north to use
"north light" which was predominantly a soft gentle almost shadowless light.

A few years ago one of the "Light" presentations at the Leica Seminar was
about shooting with window light, using children, adults and animals as
subjects. An extremely well received programme.

So Eric keep looking for that "window light on the North Side" and you can't
go wrong.
ted

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: window light)