Subject: [Leica] Re: Don't you ever print anything?!
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:52:15 -0600

Dante:

>Black and white work - while suitable for doing on a high-res, full-frame
>camera, because you have resolution to burn - is impractical because black and
>grey ink on a per 8x10 basis is more expensive than photo paper and chemicals.

I've been using mpix recently:

http://www.mpix.com/

I'm happy with the results.  I've had them print 8x10, 8x12, 11x14, and
16x20 pics for me so far.  All black and white except one...I sent a duotone
in as a color image, and am happy with how it looks, as well.

Their prices are reasonable.  The 8x12 mounted on single matboard was $7;
11x14 on single, $12; 16x20 on double, $25.

Sure beats how much it would cost me to get set up with both a good mount
press and a decent printer.  I figured my not-so-decent printer was costing
me about $1 per 8x10 as it was.  (Unmounted 8x10 from mpix is $2).

The prints I get back are what I'd expect based on how they looked on my
monitor and how the histogram looked.  I've been sending them roughly
3700x5600 pixel images (full frame scanned at 4000 dpi).

Eric

Message from dante@umich.edu (Re: [Leica] Don't you ever print anything?!)