Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't you ever print anything?!
From: dante@umich.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:04:46 -0500

Having just started to do some color with the Kodak 14n, arguably the next best
thing to film in terms of resolution and range, the only advantage I have been
able to identify for digital is not having some dingbat at a lab scratch/gunk
up/ruin my negatives.  That seems to be happening with alarming frequency.

Otherwise, Sam is right - prints are expensive - I take my files to a Frontier
lab and have them printed on the minilab or I print them myself - and in
neither instance is there any expense saved.  In fact, when you factor in the
huge cost of the equipment, there is no savings at all.

Black and white work - while suitable for doing on a high-res, full-frame
camera, because you have resolution to burn - is impractical because black and
grey ink on a per 8x10 basis is more expensive than photo paper and chemicals.

If Kodak wants to make an inroads somewhere, how about economical inkjet inks
and paper?!