Subject: RE: [Leica] A Grudging Concession to Digital, Made With Regret
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:31 -0500

The black and white, inks v. silver question, Marc, is one that will
never be satisfactorily answered. There is no question that Photoshop
provides far more control over the image than can be achieved in the wet
darkroom. There is also no question that one can produce truly beautiful
black and white prints using inks, rather than silver. HOWEVER - there
is also no question that
an inkjet print produced by someone who has mastered the process, and a
silver print produced by a master printer, are two different (dare I say
it?), separate but equal animals. Both are beautiful; both but they are
not the same. I am extremely pleased with the results I get with the
combination of Photoshop, an Epson 1160 printer, and quadtone inks. But
I know that some silver aficionados will never accept those prints as
"real." So it really comes down, like virtually everything else in every
art or craft, to a matter of taste.

B. D.