Subject: RE: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:38:50 +0100 (MET)

> their own free will, risk and all.  Recognition of their accomplishments and
> losses I would think should be recognized.
>
> Why not give them a medal?  Honestly asked.... no tongue in cheek....
>
> Frank Filippone

Frank, I think the following lines with their implications are the key
issue:

quote:
The medal is for those who served in and in support of operations in Iraq
from 20 January, 2003...
endquote:

"served in and in support of"

Journalists do not serve in operations and they should be no means support
them. We want them as our eyes and ears, not as active participants.

In an ideal world, in an ideal world ... but we won't get to the ideals
without trying.

It's tricky business now-a-days when the media is intentionally
manipulated _by all sides_. The media is so successful with what they do
(transmitting information) that it is just too tempting not to use the
media to transport "the right" information. Both sides do this. The media
is so powerful that it has become a weapon with the poor journalists
caught inbetween trying to bring us the ideal world.

Daniel