Subject: RE: [Leica] scanning dark scala question
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:02:14 -0500

Simon,
If you can see separation in the darker tones of your Scala images then
you can get that information out.  Find a friend with the new Nikon
5000, turn off ICE, turn on at least 8 times sampling, make sure the
machine is in 16bit mode, adjust the preview using the curves and levels
dialogue box to get a close approximation of the image you want to see
but do make sure that the darkest areas do not go below 5,5,5 and scan
the image.

If you have just one or two images that are especially valuable to you
then pay a pro to scan on a drum or on an Imacon.  A third alternative
would be to find someone with an old Leaf scanner; that device can find
detail in very thick slides.

You will be pleasantly surprised what the new scanners will pull out of
an image.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com