Subject: Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film
From: DKhong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:02:26 +0800

Friends,

Digital photography is the thing of the future (for reasons that are
apparent at the moment) which will replace film to some or even a large
extent. Digital photography gives me immediacy, for Net dissemination, for
publishing, and when I am in the mood for "buffet" photography - a behavior
of just shoot and shoot and then trash and trash whatever I do not want.

I shot my departmental function on digital format about a month ago. The
images were produced on hard copies so that we could display them and get
some orders for reprints. Quite a number of the shots were out of
focus....never mind...just concentrate on the sharp ones. When the reprint
orders came in, I trooped down to the photo-finisher to order the reprints.

"Excuse me sir, we no longer keep those picture files once we have produced
the hard copies."

"But I asked you to store them in your hard disk so that I can order reprints"

"Sorry sir, who did you speak to that time?"

"A lady named W......."

"Oh, she does not work for us anymore."

"Can you check if those files are still there."

"Sorry sir....we have no records."

I went back to my compact flash card.  Zilch!  No more trace....all the
shots were gone...must have pressed the wrong button.......or system
failure......

Never had the same problem with film for umpteen years...............

Moral of story.....................digital archivality is either a dream or
a full time job!

Dan K.

Replies: Reply from "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film)