Subject: Re: [Leica] Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:12:53 +0100 (MET)

I don't doubt Sonny for a minute.

We all come from different lines of expertise. I just wanted to point out
something here that might be relevant when it comes to colors and cultures
(languages).

Different cultures see different colors. Linguists have studied this quite
a lot (it's one of the textbook cases). We don't separate colors the same
way. We might have two words and see two colors: red - orange. Another
culture has one single color for our two and simply doesn't see the
difference where we do. There are some pretty extreme cases of this and it
is not unusual at all.

Since Japanese and Indoeuropean languages belong to totally different
language groups, it is not a "given" that they see colors the same way and
theoretically this could be reflected in the film. I seriously doubt it
though since film has a global, not a local, market.

So I don't see statements about Japanese and German colors as ethnical
slurs. I _do_ see the horse's mouth spewing a bunch of HS though. OF
COURSE Leica would say there is a difference. Next thing we know there'll
be rumors about lenses that Leica rejected are being used on Panasonics.
Anything to sneak in that element of doubt and get some people to pay
extra for the Red dot.

I'd probably look at the warranty before I'd look at the PR statements.
The Passport warranty might make it worth the Red dot. Might not.

Daniel