Subject: Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:57:15 +0000

Not so, the exposed silver grains are black they can be in one of 3
colour layers (or 4 depending on the process/dyes) in this sense
digital and film have always been the same philosophy,  in the
resolution sense film is digital because there are a discrete number of
grains, irregular, poor control of size and position but discrete in
quantity hence digital in this sense.
Our hearing is digital too if you study the physiology and function of
the cochlea.
In fact everything consists of discrete entities so in the limiting
case is digital in the sense that one cannot continue to halve its
magnitude indefinitely.
Frank