Subject: Re: [Leica] WTT: 35mm f1.4 ASPH MINT for 75mm f1.4 MINT
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:58:46 -0800

Vick said:
> Want to trade, my 35mm f1.4 ASPH MINT with box and papers for a 75mm
> f1.4 MINT<<<<<<

B.D. replied:
> Say it ain't so, Vick! BAD move. Don't do it. Or at least rethink it.<<<<

Vick,
Listen to B.D. if you never listen to another!

I bet if you make this trade, no matter the praise for the 75,  you'll kick
yer ass sooner than later if you do it. For my money the 75 as beautiful as
it cuts images in film will drive you absolutely crazy due to framing in the
viewfinder.

Now there'll be 75 users who'll rebut that, however unless you pay extreme
attention to framing you'll be chopping heads and other bits. It's so easy
to miss the viewfinder markings it'll drive you crazy. I bought one shortly
after it was available and used it for some time before going to Russia on
assignment. And even though I had some difficulty with framing lines during
my "training time" I figured I'd got over it before the shoot.

When I returned to Canada 2 months later and several hundred rolls of film
exposed, I'd destroyed so many 75 frames I was in tears because I couldn't

As a result I immediately dumoed it as I never wanted to see it again,
period! One is far better off with the 90 in any event because when you want
to reach beyond the 50 it's the better choice because the 75 is rarely the
right amount. Actually it's a kind of bastard size lens and why they ever
made it I'll never know.

However, if you make the trade you can always change yer mind later and get
rid of it as there'll always be someone craving it. ;-) But don't say we
didn't warn you! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] WTT: 35mm f1.4 ASPH MINT for 75mm f1.4 MINT)