Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Digital Bessa RF
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:05:20 -0800

Eric.. I am not sure, but intuitively I disagree....

The DOF is recorded at the time of exposure.  The negative records that DOF.
In either example, digital or analog, you can not change that DOF.  Now you
can fiddle the math and work out a print with an enlargement of 1.4 to 1 and
say that the APPARENT DOF is therefore determined by the COC, but the
negative is the controlling influence still.  Now if you examine those
prints at a different distance, the COC would get into the act.

SO I guess I disagree with the simple interpretation, but the longer and
more subjective interpretation sounds like it makes sense.... the
enlargement compensates for the COC being different....

Having said all that, when I view a shot with shallow DOF, no matter how big
you make that print, the background still is out of focus.  How does that
get into the equation?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Digital Bessa RF)