Subject: Re: [Leica] My newest favorite Leica
From: frank.dernie@btinternet.com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:18:14 +0000 (GMT)

I suspect that as in the case of most tools it is a question of familiarity. When the M camera first arrived in the 50s there was no little meter led to direct the turning of any dial. Those of us who have got used to Ms then therefore find the standard M shutterspeed dial, which has not changed for about 45 years to be normal. The choice made to orientate the leds for the M6 with the aperture dial obviously meant the shutter speed dial turned the other direction (at the front :-) not the back of the dial). It did not seem abnormal to me - in fact it never occured to me until it was touted as an improvement in the M6ttl. I have never used an M6ttl so have no feeling for whether I would get used to it or not, but I suspect for the Leica diehards who have used Leicas for decades the M6ttl reversed shutter speed dial caused some frustration. Anyway both alternatives are now available. I am so happy with my 1986 M6 I am not considering any change until a digital M arrives.
Frank