Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon B&W printer
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:41:55 -0500

Interestingly enough, the nice folks at DIMA tested B&W output of inkjet
printers and found that the Epson 1280 produced a better B&W image.
This was surprising to me so I spent a lot of time examining the test
prints.  The HP has a better Dmax and a lot more contrast so it appears
sharper but a lot of low and high midtone detail gets lost in the
output.  The Epson image appears softer but is in reality putting a lot
more tonality in the image at the expense of really fine detail.  Last,
the HP prints more of a blue/black image and the Epson was just a tad
warmer.

Canon did not participate but in their booth the new 9900? was producing
a lot of really nice B&W images in 60 seconds an 8X.  For someone
looking for doing production work for a small studio I would certainly
look at this new model.  On the other hand, all the paper suppliers,
Strathmore, Moab, JOBO, Illford, Hamme whatever, and so on could all
provide software to make Epsons sing on their paper.  Classic case of
asking yourself what do you want, speed and production flow or really
nuanced work that is exquisite so behold.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com