Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Bessa more speculation - please skip if you are already tired of this topic.
From: Howard Cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:56:49 +0800

Hi Luggers,
I speculate that we can (perhaps) learn more about the Bessa D by
looking at the specs of the Epson digital cameras. They use Sony chips
so I guess that the Bessa D will use a Sony Chip - likely the same one
as in the D100 (6.1MB) with a 1.5 mag factor. Why that one? Well Sony
has come out with an 8 MB camera and will want the new chips for its
own, 6.1MB is sufficient for up to Super A3 enlargements, the 6.1 chip
should be a lot cheaper than the new 8 chip - and that will leave room
for Epson to upgrade with a MK 11 model (a la Canon's incremental
upgrades from the D30 to the D60 to the 10D) to keep early adopters
renewing their models every few months. We could get through two or
even three cycles, if Epson follows Canon, before the Leica MD gets to
the market. I speculate that there will be limited colour profiles
available in the software, hopefully a standard Adobe RGB (or RGBs) and
yes, there will likely be a B&W option - there is one on the Epson P&S
cameras. DIN should run to at least 1,600 - maybe even 3,200 and not be
grainier than equivalent speed film. The handling of the camera will be
like handling a Bessa R2 (which I have and use a lot - sometimes in
preference to my Leica Ms) because it is light and cheap and I don't
care if it gets banged about. The Epson digital back will be fast to
process pictures, and results will be very acceptable - assuming they
are like the Epson P&S results. Out of the camera and with standard
settings they may be a bit on the soft side and with muted colours, if
the reults are like the Nikon D100's, and that will require some in
camera adjustments (if they can be made) or some tweaking in photoshop.
Price - about one third the price of the Leica MD. How does a street
price of about US$1,000 - $1,500 sound? Thanks for letting me share my
speculations. I want to order one NOW!
Cheers
Howard (in warm but polluted Hong Kong)