Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Bessa? Now curious translation.
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:46:05 -0800

At 4:46 PM -0800 2/13/04, Feli di Giorgio wrote:
>  > Initially, I thought 'just another humorous stab at translating inscrutable
>>  prose into Engrish.' Then, it hit me, they've been monitoring the
>>list. "Maniac
>>  drivelling of the Leica M..." is all the proof one needs.
>>
>>  Chris Lawson
>

>I used to have a spell checker that tried to substitute "leach" for leica"....
>
>feli

Those Leach cameras have surely sucked me dry in one way, even though
I retain a little bit of blood.

 From some information I gathered this morning, it might be the 6.1mp
Sony built sensor that Nikon uses in their DSLR's that's going to
show up in the EpsoVoightlasina. In that case a 1.5 factor would come
into effect. Hopefully Cosina will come out with some fast wides
(with the 1.5 factor in consideration) that will fill the wide gap. A
24/1.2 Nokton would be nice. :-)

BTW, one of the posts on this thread mentioned that with the smaller
sensors the DOF would make the reduced accuracy of the R2 rangefinder
less of a problem. This is actually the opposite of the truth, if you
are thinking of a specific lens, and not a specific perspective. If
you want to use your Noctilux at f/1, it is no easier to focus on the
correct point or plane than with film at 24x36mm. Your sharpness
standards will need to increase, as the circle of confusion criteria
become more stringent the smaller the format due to the increase in
magnification required for the same print size.

On the other hand, having a lens with the angle of view of the 75
Summilux available with an aperture of f/1 available sounds
intriguing, even if some shots aren't focussed perfectly. The smaller
sensor would also take care of a lot of the vignetting of the
Noctilux.

Only if you now want the perspective of a 50mm lens (using a 35,
approx.) do you gain an advantage in depth of field.
- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com