Subject: [Leica] Tri-X turns 50
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli@creocollective.com>
Date: 12 Feb 2004 16:47:25 -0800

Let's hope it's around for another 50...

feli

Kodak's Venerable TRI-X Black-and-White Film Celebrates 50 Years of
Unparalleled Popularity and Quality

Film Revered by World's Elite Photographers, Industry Experts, Students
LAS VEGAS, Feb. 12 -- In 1954 Dwight D. Eisenhower was president, Roger
Bannister broke the four-minute mile, the first successful kidney
transplant took place and professional photographers began shooting
KODAK PROFESSIONAL TRI-X Film, a revolutionary black-and-white film.
Fifty years later TRI-X has achieved iconic status in the photographic
industry crossing boundaries of all applications and types of
photographers commercial, nature, fine art, portraiture, editorial,
students and remains Kodak's largest-selling black-and-white film.

"Fifty years ago, TRI-X film created a class of its own with its speed
and unique look. Today, it stands alone," said Paula Balik, Director,
Worldwide Marketing, Film Capture Products. "Whether a photographer
wants to convey power, beauty, intensity or grace all in the absence of
color, TRI-X film captures it like no other. The look of TRI-X film is
unparalleled, and it is the black-and-white choice of many professional
photographers."

Introduced November 1, 1954 as TRI-X roll film in 135 and 120-sizes it
was considered faster than any other film available, which changed where
photographers could take their camera and what they could shoot.
Low-light situations and action/motion now could be captured with
outstanding results. Originally available in ASA daylight 200 and
Tungsten 160-speed, the film was modified once, in 1960. It is now
available in 320 and 400-speed and continues to use the same D-76
processing that it used in 1954.

Professional photographers and industry experts have heralded TRI-X film
for its incredible tonal range, wide exposure and processing latitude
and its distinctive grain structure. TRI-X film has traveled the world
with some of the world's most esteemed photographers - including such
luminaries as Sebastiao Salgado, Alfred Eisenstadt, Mary Ellen Mark,
Henri Cartier-Bresson and John Sexton during the past fifty years.

"Just about everything I have done with photography in my life has been
recorded on TRI-X film," said Sebastiao Salgado. "I am so linked with
TRI-X film that even when imagining all the possible shades of gray, I
materialize all my thoughts in generations of TRI-X film."

It has been shot in arctic and desert conditions, as well as many other
adverse shooting environments, and consistently produces outstanding
prints. It is regularly used in photography courses and hundreds of
aspiring photographers continue to learn the fundamentals of
black-and-white photography with TRI-X film.

"TRI-X is one of the 'icons' in our film portfolio," said Balik.
"Professional photographers have depended on TRI-X film for 50 years and
will be able to rely on it for years to come."

To mark the fiftieth anniversary of TRI-X film, the film's packaging
will carry a special "50 years" seal throughout 2004.

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Tri-X turns 50)