Subject: RE: [Leica] Interesting piece on the Digital R
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:35:22 -0500

Well you can be entertained, Greg - But not being one of the
independently wealth in this group, I don't "try something out in the
real world for a reasonable period of time" when it comes to camera
systems - I can't afford the pleasure. I read about the camera; I handle
the camera; I compare the camera's capability to other available systems
- - and then I make a commitment to whatever seems to make the most sense
for me.

Certainly it is no secret that I feel that Leica has always been behind
the curve with its reflex cameras. That doesn't mean that they don't
create great images, don't have great glass, or aren't absolutely the
right tool for some people - Good God, look what Doug, and Ted do with
them, just for two examples among many. But I don't like the ergonomic
one little bit, I don't like what I consider the limited feature range,
I don't like the lack of a choice between manual and autofocus, and I
don't like the very expensive and limited choices of lenses.

What I find most amusing, however, about this somewhat nasty, "to the
barricades" post of yours, is that I didn't attack the idea of the
digital R - what I "attacked" was the downright silly so-called update,
which was not an update at all, but rather was a typical, pretty
pathetic, Leica marketing brochure - well, single page of photos of
"engineers." I said, in fact, that the idea of a camera with the ability
to handle both film and digital is quite exciting.

As to my comments on Leica digital - No, I do not use Leica digital -
which is, in my non-engineers opinion, and the opinion of many other
people, over priced, and under-featured. And, as we know, is not even
really Leica digital. I cannot fathom why, if someone liked the design
of the Digilux 1, they would for an instant consider paying a premium to
buy a red dot when they could buy the camera as a Panasonic. ;-)

But as to my "blathering on," this list is full of people who "blather"
on about the evils of "monster" DSLRs, about having to deal with a set
of rediculous features, when they have never owned a DSLR, have never
owned a modern film SLR, and know absolutely nothing about the subject
they're "blathering" on. And oddly enough, I don't see you asking them
if they've used the equipment they "blather" about. BTW - how anyone can
"blather" about "monster" DSLR's and willingly deal with an R8 or 9,
which to my mind looks and feels like a cement block on steroids, I'll
never know.

Best

B. D.