Subject: [Leica] Re: Center of the field
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:15:00 EST

In a message dated 2/10/04 7:33:00 PM, Mark writes:

<< I'm intrigued how a 50 mm becomes in effect 75 mm. For chump change. With
the
more questionable outer areas cropped out again. I think a major difference
between optics we dream about and optics we already have is that super
consistency of quality between the center and outer portions of the field.
The outer areas have to hold up really well. A parameter with Leica-Zeiss
glass we keep hearing and less with Canon-Nikon. With exceptions of course.
Their centers of filed might even be sharper than ours in a number of
examples. But their outer areas go completely to hell a whole lot more than
ours do. If ours ever do. >>

Mark,

If you are right - it's welcome news. My old 35 and 50 mm F 2.0 Summicrons
will get a new lease on life. I have a 1954 era seven element Summicron that has
a central 2/3s of the field that is sharper than my more modern lenses but
the edges of the frame leave (quite) a bit to be desired. With a 1.3 or 1.5
sensor it will be a world beater. Leica, bring on that less than full frame
digital. We users of old lenses will thank you. Especially if the smaller sensor new
camera costs half the price of a full frame camera.

Larry Z